The precise details of the financial support and benefits that you may be entitled to can change. Everybody's circumstances are different and it can be very confusing.

We've included some useful links to information and support that is available to families with twins, triplets or more below.

A pregnant women browsing the web on a laptop.


Benefits and financial support

To get the most up-to-date information, check the Department of Work and Pensions website or for more support visit Working Families or Turn 2 Us. There is also more information in leaflet NI17A-A Guide to Maternity Benefits, that will tell you all you need to know, including what happens to your maternity pay if your babies are born early. Your local Jobcentre Plus or Citizens Advice Bureau will have this.


Child benefit

Child benefit is a regular payment that you can claim for each child you are responsible for up to age 16-20, depending on their education status. The current rate of child benefit is £24 a week for your first child and £15.90 a week for each additional child. If twins, triplets or more are your first children you will still get £24 a week for one child and £15.90 for the other children. If you or your partner earn over £50,000 you might have to pay the higher income child benefit charge. You can find out more about child benefit and how to claim it on the website.


Sure Start Maternity Grant

When you are pregnant with twins, triplets or more, you only get the same allowances as you would if you were having one baby. The exception to this is the Sure Start Maternity Grant. Unlike mothers expecting singleton babies, you might still be eligible for a grant if you have already had a baby. To be eligible you need to be receiving certain benefits and on a low income. Visit Working Families for more support.


If you receive universal credit or tax credit

If you receive universal credit or tax credits and have one child already and then have twins, triplets or more, you may be eligible for support for all of them. It can be complex so worth checking on the website.  Even if you are not eligible for the additional child element for each of your babies you may be eligible for help with childcare costs for all of them under universal credit and tax credits. If you are on a low income and do not currently claim universal credit, then you may like to consider making a claim – you can check your eligibility using a free online benefits calculator.


Affording childcare

There are various government schemes - including free hours, tax free childcare and help for low income families - which can make childcare for your multiples more affordable. You can find out more via Working Families.


If you live in Scotland

If you live in Scotland you may also be eligible for other benefits:

Best Start Grant - if you are expecting multiples and you are in receipt of certain benefits and on a low income you can get separate amounts for each baby, plus an additional supplement - the value differs depending on whether you already have a child under 16 in the family. Visit Working Families and My Gov for details.

Scottish Child Payment - is a payment of £25 per week for each child under 16 that you are responsible for, regardless of how many children you have. You can apply for this payment if you or your partner get certain benefits. Visit My Gov for more details.

Other useful links are Parent Club to claim a baby box for your multiples and information on neonatal expenses in Scotland. 

Let us help
  • Join one of our Facebook groups, where you can get advice from other parents. Post questions on childcare, family budgets, or anything else you need help with.
  • If you are a parent or carer of triplets or quads, you can join our Facebook support group. This group is moderated by Twins Trust Support Team and our parent moderators.
  • Become a member for less: We are happy to offer a concessionary membership for those who need it.

  • Baby Banks can be a great way to help your money go further by providing good quality, used clothing and baby equipment for free.  Stripey Stork have a directory to help you find your nearest one.  You can also use the directory to find a local baby bank to donate to.