We have a team of volunteers who can help families of multiples with a whole range of issues. They are all professional experts in their field, plus experts in multiples.

For example, speech therapists, teachers, educational psychologists and family therapists.

All of our professional volunteers are giving up their time to help families in crisis, so please be aware that from your referral to being contacted by someone may take two or three weeks.

I need help – what do I do?

All referrals must come via the Twins Trust office, please complete the form at the bottom of this page.

Please note the form should be completed by a parent or legal guardian. Referrals cannot be made by a grandparent or carer unless there is permission in writing from the parent or legal guardian.

If possible, if your issue is school-related, please contact us at least a month before your deadline of required support.

Please also note that this service can only be offered to people who live in the UK.

Below is a list of how our consultants can help. Have a read about what we can offer.

For Primary School applications they can help with:

  • Starting school: whether your multiples should attend part-time or full-time when under Compulsory School Age (CSA) 
  • Starting school: whether your multiples might benefit from deferring school start until a later term
  • Starting school: whether your summer-born multiples should start a whole year later, but in Reception rather than Year 1
  • Requesting that admission authorities allow a Reception start at CSA
  • Appeals about school places
  • Together or apart
  • Teachers failing to identify individual needs
  • Teachers making comparisons
  • Different rates of progress
  • Different levels of independence and confidence

For Secondary School applications, they can help with:

  • Choosing schools (the number of choices allowed varies by local authority)
  • Applying for secondary school places for children educated out of normal age group
  • Preparing for results day when abilities are similar but only one may be given a place at preferred school with an entrance exam
  • Appeals
  • Teachers failing to identify individual needs
  • Teachers making comparisons
  • Differences in ability
  • Differences in rate of development and achievement by boy/girl twins

Please note in the case of selective and grammar school applications and appeals Twins Trust can only help in this instance if the multiples have achieved consistently the same academically for several years and there is proof of this.  For more information regarding applying to selective schools, please take a look at our secondary schools section

Our consultants can help with: 

  • Special educational needs and EHC Plans
  • Severe learning difficulties
  • Profound and multiple learning difficulties
  • Autistic spectrum disorders
  • Dyslexia
  • Emotional and behavioural difficulties at school/nursery that are affecting a child or young persons academic progress

Please note for typical age appropriate behavioural problems please contact Twinline, our free telephone helpline on 0800 138 0509 which is open Monday to Friday, 10am to 1pm and 7pm to 10pm. Or email [email protected]

Our family therapists are qualified Psychotherapists or Clinical Psychologists. 

  • Severe behaviour problems including aggression
  • Relationship problems
  • Psychological issues between twins and parents including adolescence
  • Toilet training if the issues begin to affect the family
  • Identity and friendship issues
  • Adult twins who have lost their twin
  • Couples where one is a twin
  • Parents suffering after the birth of their twins

Please note: Our family therapists can only offer one off phone support and singposting to other resources. They cannot offer face-to-face or long-term counselling.

Here's how our consultants can help: 

  • Listening and attention
  • Social interaction - any age
  • Understanding
  • Expressive language
  • Speech – slow to start talking/unclear and difficulty forming sounds
  • Specific difficulties e.g. stammering
  • EHC Plan application process

Read more information about Language Development.

Please note: Our speech therapists can only offer support to families where their multiples are aged 2 and over. If you are looking for a private speech therapist you can contact the Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice or seek a GP referral.

If you are a professional teacher, educational psychologist, speech therapist or family therapist with experience of multiples and would like to volunteer your time, please visit Volunteer for Twins Trust and complete the form or contact our support team ([email protected]).

If you would like to support this service in other ways, please consider becoming a Twins Trust member, renewing your lapsed membership or making a donation.

Twins Trust does not accept any obligation, responsibility, or liability for the service provided by the professional volunteers.

Fill in our form