We have a team of volunteers who can help families of multiples with a whole range of issues. They are all professional experts in their field. They include teachers, educational psychologists and speech therapists.

All of our professional volunteers are giving up their time to help families in crisis, so please be aware that from your referral to being contacted by someone may take two or three weeks.

Mum with children  ready to go to school

I need help – what do I do?

All referrals must come via the Twins Trust office, please complete the Professional Referral Service form.

Please note the form should be completed by a parent or legal guardian. Referrals cannot be made by a grandparent or carer unless there is permission in writing from the parent or legal guardian.

If possible, if your issue is school-related, please contact us at least a month before your deadline of required support.

Please also note that this service can only be offered to people who live in the UK.

Below is a list of how our consultants can help. Have a read about what we can offer.

For Primary School applications they can help with:

  • Appeals about school places – have your children been given different schools from each other?
  • Together or apart – we have information about this. Once you have completed the checklist and shared our letter with the head teacher, if the school are not listening to the needs of both the children and parents and specifying if they have to stay together or apart we can support with this.
  • Teachers failing to identify individual needs – You can share our individuality factsheet with the school and also our teachers guide for treating multiples as individuals
  • If you are considering Part Time Attendance, Deferring and Delaying School Start for your multiples please firstly take a look at these pages. If you still need support with this process come back and  make a referral to our service.

If your children were born prematurely, Bliss have an excellent page regarding delaying/deferring school entry that you may also find useful.

For Secondary School applications, they can help with:

  • Choosing schools (the number of choices allowed varies by local authority)
  • Applying for secondary school places for children educated out of normal age group
  • Preparing for results day when abilities are similar but only one may be given a place at preferred school with an entrance exam
  • Appeals
  • Teachers failing to identify individual needs
  • Teachers making comparisons
  • Differences in ability
  • Differences in rate of development and achievement by boy/girl twins

Please note in the case of selective and grammar school applications and appeals Twins Trust can only help in this instance if the multiples have achieved consistently the same academically for several years and there is proof of this.  For more information regarding applying to selective schools, please take a look at our secondary schools section

Our consultants can help with: 

  • Special educational needs and EHC Plans
  • Severe learning difficulties
  • Profound and multiple learning difficulties
  • Autistic spectrum disorders
  • Dyslexia
  • Emotional and behavioural difficulties at school/nursery that are affecting a child or young persons academic progress

Here's how our consultants can help: 

  • Listening and attention
  • Social interaction - any age
  • Understanding
  • Expressive language
  • Speech – slow to start talking/unclear and difficulty forming sounds
  • Specific difficulties e.g. stammering
  • EHC Plan application process

Read more information about Language Development.

Please note: Our speech therapists can only offer support to families where their multiples are aged 2 and over. If you are looking for a private speech therapist you can contact the Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice or seek a GP referral.

If you are a professional teacher, educational psychologist or speech therapist with experience of multiples and would like to volunteer your time, please visit Volunteer for Twins Trust and complete the form or contact our support team.

Twins Trust does not accept any obligation, responsibility, or liability for the service provided by our professional volunteers.